Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (Skyfall series)
After the first Aqua Terra models were discontinued in 2010, a new model followed in the same year: the AT "Skyfall" - we call it Skyfall because it was worn by Daniel Craig in the Skyfall James Bond movie in 2012 (ref 220.127.116.11.03.001, blue model). Omega introduced a lot of changes in this model:
- The dial featured a pattern made of vertical stripes
- A date window frame was added
- The shape of the hands was changed to make them look more sporty, their tip has been cut and they now expose a flat surface
- A 60-minute graduation appeared on the outside of the hour markers
- The shapes of the hour markers is very prominent and they are now covered with lume.
- Finally an entirely new movement was built: the Omega 8500 co-axial movement.
Unlike the 2500 which was based on an existing calibre (ETA 2892), the 8500 movement has been designed from scratch. It features a new co-axial escapement assembly with 3 levels as George Daniels designed it. Through the transparent case back, you can see 2 spring barrels that ensure precision even when power runs low. The power reserve of the Omega 8500 is 60 hours and the watch is COSC certified as you would expect.
This model was available in 2 sizes:
- 38.5mm (ref 18.104.22.168.XX.XXX with 19mm lug width)
- 41.5mm (ref 22.214.171.124.XX.XXX with 20mm lug width)
The thickness of the watch increased to 12.85mm with the 8500 movement, due to the 3 level co-axial escapement. As you can see from the pictures, there is a significant difference in height between the two models. The 2500 model is thin and discrete, whereas the 8500, with its bold and relatively chunky feel, has definitely more wrist presence.
The lugs of the Skyfall AT got shortened, making the 38.5mm model more adapted for smaller wrists than its 39.5mm diameter predecessor.
Here are 8 suggestions on eBay for the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (Skyfall series):
- £4999.00 ($6497.95)
- £4690.00 ($6096.30)
The Japanese brand Seiko has been around for more than a century and is one of the most influential watch manufacturers in the world. One remarkable aspect of Seiko is that they ...
In order to truly appreciate a luxury watch and its value we would advise you to first have a look at non-luxury watches that are punching above their weight. A timepiece that ...
Rolex developed the GMT-Master for airline pilots and released it in 1954. In 1983, the Rolex GMT-Master II was released. This model has become iconic and a reference for many in ...
Be part of the conversation